Friday, June 04, 2004

Coding and Parenting

There was a post on slashdot about "Parenting and a career in Coding". Here is what I came up with on that subject

  • Leave the house and get home from work at the same time. I take the train to work, so I have to leave a little earlier. So I leave the house at 6:50am and they come and pick me up at 6pm. Our boy knows what time to get me and he looks forward to seeing me as much I as look forward to see him. The consistency is great for them. And even if you have to work afterward it's a great break that does refresh you.
  • If you have to work late, work from home. I know this is sometimes hard to do, but I get more done at home where others can't bother me.
  • Dont miss story time.  This does so much for our little boy and a great deal for me. The half hour or so that you are away from the code helps you to clear your head a little bit. And reading your little one is an amazing thing. You should never miss it.
  • Do something with them during blank stare time. You know that time where you are just staring at the screen and can't think or type.
  • Show them that computers are fun. I wrote a little IE wrapper for our boy that goes to four sites. Bob the Builder, Sesame Street, Disney and Yahooligans. We play on the Bob the Builders Site and have a great time. You would be amazed how fast they get it.
  • Follow your nose. If the diaper needs changed, change it, your Wife will think are the greatest man to ever walk the face of the earth, and you have done something to help take care of the little one.
  • Never miss the good night hug and kiss.
  • Never underestimate how much you can get done when they are asleep.
  • No comments: