Wednesday, May 12, 2004

What the brochure doesn't tell you.

Remember being in Jr. High and thinking that when you are an adult you can do anything you want?
I remember all of the things that I was going to be able to do and see when I was an adult. It was almost like a brochure. The brochure for adulthood. It showed parties, and cars to drive, and high paying jobs, and the ultimate apartment. I would get to spend my money however I wanted on whatever I wanted. I best of all I could go to bed whenever I wanted. Everyones brochure was what their ideal adulthood was going to be like. I remember my brother and I  would go through the JC Whitney catalog picking out the accessories that would make our ultimate van for driving across country. We had big plans we were going to drive coast to coast and back again.

So now am an adult. Legally for 12 years, actually for 8. So first and foremost, the brochure lied! I don't get to spend my money however I want. It goes to bills and necessities. The time I go to bed is dictated by the three year old and the morning commute. I haven't been to a party in ages and wouldn't have the energy to go to one. But these are the little things and really easy to get over. The brochure doesn't mention that when the Little boy falls and gets hurt that you fell like crying too. It neglected to mention the complete heartbreak you feel when he crashes his tricycle and gets road rash and a goose egg on his little head. Or how much you would rather, you were the one that was hurt instead of him. It didn't talk about how much you would do for him, and how completely in love with him you would be. It forgot to mention that I would like story time just as much if not more than he does.

The Little Boy's wounds will heal. I've had my share of road rash. I was an adventurous lad myself once. I know what it's like to be a rough tumble boy. Some of the scars go away and the rest you wear with pride. I know that he will be okay, and survive the next crash and the next one after that. They will be some of his war stories from his childhood. What I don't know is if I'll survive his next crash.

The brochure lied, things are much better than it said.

No comments: