Wednesday, March 03, 2004

The toys of my Childhood are now Online

When I was growing up we use to love rainy days. Why? Well first off, growing up in Southern California, there just weren't a lot of rainy days. And secondly and most importantly was our rainy day toys. These were Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys and Legos. My favorite was the Legos. I was always building castles and cars (okay, things that looked like cars if your crossed your eyes and used your imagination).

So today I was just kind of surfing around and I went to one of my favorite design site. Chopping Block.com. I mean any site that has a theme song by "They might be Giants" is pretty cool if you ask me. Anyhow one of their newest projects was for Legos. So I checked it out, and what did I find? My childhood rainy day toy is now available 24/7 on a computer near you. I was taken back for a moment. I thought about this and was a little hurt at first. My toy was now a computer program. Then I thought about it a little more, humm if it's on the screen that means there isn't any little plastic pieces to step on in the middle of the night. Whoever thought of this is a Genius! My poor parents must of stepped on about four hundred million of those little legos at night. I won't have to now. When the little boy wants to play with legos we can just fire up the computer and way he goes!

So with Legos found, its off to google to see about Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys. There is still a version of Lincoln Logs around. Infact they even have PDFs of how to build the bank, and the barn and other buildings. Tinkertoys however took a little more searching but I did find something about them. Hasbro still sells Tinkertoys. Somehow it is nice to know that they toys of ones childhood are still around in some fashion.

No comments: