Thursday, February 05, 2004

Just another Manic Thursday

Well it has been a thursday...<quote who="Arthur Dent">This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.</quote>

Today was one of those days where you wake up with the greatest of intentions. You are going to put a huge dent in that big project that is due yesterday, infact you think, hey if things go well enough I can have it finished early. But somehow you still done seem to get anything done.

I got up early, grabbed the 5:50am train into LA, got the 6:50am into burbank, was in at my desk by 7:15am. Starting going at it and got four pages of content in the CMS in 45 minutes. I was rockin'. But (there is always a but isn't there) then people started coming in. So you know how it goes. You can't focus on what you are working on because every ten minutes you are putting out fires. Some of them, three at a time like this afternoon, and it's flustering. It's one of those happy problems. If you weren't any good they wouldn't bother you. But I am fairly good at what I do. So I get asked for help on everything from graphic design work to server problems. And I am happy to help, but at the end of the day, I still have to get my work done, you know...

I have been working hot and heavy on the CMS project. I've come up with a list of questions. So I called over to the vendor we got it from, and my contact wasn't in. (He is the guy that wrote the CMS) I've called a couple times before and got the same thing. Of course he is incredibly cool and gave me his cell phone number so I can call him. So I did, and I asked him today about it. He says yeah, if I am in the office I get bombairded with requests. So if I have to focus or do anything like programming logic I do it from home.

Now this is my ideal situation. This sparked in my little memory something I had talked with my boss about the other day. Working from home on Fridays. A couple of Fridays a month to start. So I went in and asked if it would be cool of I worked from home tomorrow. And he thought for a moment and said, 'Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that.'. So I am a happy programmer. I get to work from home tomorrow. No 2 1/2 to 3 hours work of train rides. No interuptions...Except the little boy....hummm. Maybe I should think this thing through.

No comments: